Acknowledgement of Risk
Motorsport is dangerous; accidents can and do happen which can involve damage, injury or death; despite Queensland Raceways (QR) taking all reasonable precautions. By attending or participating in an activity at a QR venue, competitive or not, you acknowledge there is an obvious risk to you and your property and confirm that you have willingly undertaken this risk on your own cognisance. Neither QR nor any other members of the QR group of companies or their representatives are responsible for any loss, damage or injury to persons or property caused or sustained by you as result of attendance at any track.
QR may eject from, its venues any persons who in its sole opinion are acting against the interests of safety and/or whose behaviour in its sole opinion is likely to cause damage, nuisance or injury. QR reserves the right to conduct security searches at the venues to ensure the safety of customers and other persons at the relevant event.
Any road registered vehicle you intend to use must conform to the Australian Design Rules minimum standards for road use, All non-road registered vehicles must pass the currently applicable safety and silencing regulations for racing cars at the venue. The vehicle must be in good condition both mechanically and bodily and suitable for its intended use in the activity you have entered. It is your duty to ensure that the vehicle remains in this condition for the duration of the activity, in the interests of your safety and the safety of others at the circuit.
Accident Damage and Insurance
QR do not require you to have comprehensive insurance cover in place to participate in activities on its tracks. However, by using your vehicle at QR’s venues you do so at your own risk. Although QR has public liability insurance cover, it is entirely your choice as to whether you procure insurance to cover damage to your vehicle. It is unlikely that your normal car insurance policy will cover you for a track based activity, but you should check with your insurer. If you explain the activity is non-competitive, they may extend your cover for an additional charge. Alternatively there are specialist insurance companies who provide motorsport insurance e.g. Shannons.
The regulations relating to noise levels are required as a result of environmental and/or planning legislation relevant to QR venues and so there is no room for discretionary relaxation. These restrictions ensure activities at the QR venues create the minimum amount of disturbance to our neighbours. Although these requirements can seem restrictive, we operate all our retail driving activities in full compliance with these limits. These measures are required to ensure that the majority of QR’s customers who do not attempt to flaunt the noise limits are able to continue to enjoy their track days without the relevant event or future events having to be restricted due to the acts of others.
All vehicles participating in track days at Lakeside Raceway must conform to the noise limit, on both a static test and trackside test, of 95 dB(A).
At Lakeside Raceway noise checks to establish adherence to the 95 dB(A) limit will be conducted in accordance with current measuring methods as defined in the Lakeside Noise Management Study. Essentially this means that the noise test shall be measured from a position 8m behind the exhaust at a 45 degree angle, with the engine running at ¾ maximum revs.
In cases where the vehicle has two separated exhausts the measurement will be taken as above from the median point between the two.
If QR is of the opinion that any vehicle does not comply with the applicable noise restrictions, the relevant vehicle will be prevented from participating in the remainder of the event unless and until the noise emissions are addressed to bring them within the applicable limit.
Whilst QR do not currently impose a drive-by limits at QR Ipswich, in the interests of ensuring that the spirit of the noise level limits is respected, QR will monitor drive-by levels at Lakeside Raceway using noise meters located around the circuit.
If the results of the drive-by monitoring show that a particular vehicle is generating drive-by sound levels appreciably higher than vehicles with comparable static test results, then QR staff will notify the participant, and the relevant vehicle shall not be permitted to take further part in the event until the participant has addressed the noise levels generated by their vehicle to bring them within acceptable sound levels.
Further participation in the activity may be precluded if acceptable drive-by limits cannot be achieved at the first drive-by test following the addition of extra silencing.
No race engines may be run before 0900hrs or after 1700hrs for any purpose including loading and unloading.
To undertake any activity at a QR venue the driver must hold a valid Australian driving licence or a licence issued by a recognised sanctioning authority with the appropriate category clearly indicated. Dependent on the activity QR will determine the licences acceptable to it for the activity.
Drivers under the age of 18 who do not hold a full current driving licence as required above shall be permitted to participate provided that: (a) such driver’s parent or legal guardian has signed and completed the relevant section of the Registration Form; and (b) such driver has, prior to the date of the event, provided written proof of their competence to take part in the activities, to the Circuit Manager’s satisfaction; and (c) in the case of drivers under the age of 16, such driver holds a licence from a sanctioning authority appropriate to the vehicle and the activity he/she intends to use for the activity.
Access to the venue
Access to the venue will be from 0730 until 1800hrs except for specific activities that have an evening content.
On arrival, please go directly to the QR Circuit office or Race Office and make sure you sign the required QR Registration Forms and that you have been issued with an QR circuit wristband. You must produce your valid driving licence(s) (photo ID) at the time of registration. Please note that photocopies cannot be accepted.
Briefing &/or Safety Notes
A full safety briefing will take place prior to any competitive track activity. Please ensure you attend this briefing. Should you arrive too late, please report to the Event Supervisor, who will be based in the Control Tower, where arrangements will be made for you to be individually briefed.
During those activities where passengers are permitted only one passenger may be carried in the vehicle at any one time. All fitted safety devices must be able to perform within their manufacturers guidelines i.e. weight and height of passenger must not interfere or prevent such safe operation within the manufacturers design parameters. Passengers under the age of 18 must have the appropriate section of the Registration Form signed by their parent or legal guardian. In any case the minimum age for passengers is 14 yrs.
- All participants must wear crash helmets of a recognised manufacture and complying with the current Safety Requirements of the BSI 6658-85A or BSI 6658 –85A/FR, or MSA/ACU/FIM/FIA standards. All helmets must be correctly fitted.
- Seat belts or harnesses must be worn at all times on the Circuit.
- Arms and legs must be covered whilst on Circuit.
- Participants must not act or drive recklessly, dangerously or in an intimidating fashion, whether on track or otherwise. If in QR’s opinion you are acting dangerously, recklessly or in an intimidating fashion you may be removed from further participation in the activity and/or ejected from the venue, at QRs discretion.
- If you have any problems with any other drivers on the day, please report to the Event Supervisor.
- No participant shall consume or be under the influence of alcohol at any time during any activity.
- No participant shall be under the influence of drugs or medication (prescribed or otherwise) or have any pre-existing medical condition that will adversely affect his or her performance during the track day.
- No pregnant drivers will be permitted to participate, whether as a driver or passenger, in any track day.
- No timekeeping or pacemaking of any sort is allowed for non-competitive activites.
- Drivers of open top and single-seater cars must at all times whilst on-circuit, wear gloves and a full-face crash helmet which complies with the current ASA standards.
- Open top cars will only be permitted when fitted with a full MSA/FIA approved roll safety device, or other road homologated roll over safety device. Road homologated vehicles which do not have the above by virtue of their manufactured date, but which are still in standard road homologated specification are also permitted.
- Participants must listen to all briefings and safety instructions throughout the track day, including flags, signals or warnings from marshals or any other representative of QR. The decisions of QR are final.
- Speed limit on all service roads at the venue is 10kph.
- Anyone reported driving recklessly or dangerously will be escorted from the venue.
- No paddock bikes or other forms of un-licensed motorised transport are to be used on the venue at any time.
- The restaurant opening hours:
- 7.30am - 5.00pm.
- 7.30 - 11.30am Breakfast
- 11.30 - 2.30pm
- Hot Lunch 2.30 - 5.00pm Hot and cold drinks and light refreshments.
- No animals may be brought onto the premises, except for registered guide dogs.
- Unless accompanied by an adult at all times, no persons under the age of 16 are allowed in Pit Lane.
- Unless participating, no persons under the age of 16 are allowed in any of the controlled track areas, and in any case, no person under the age of 14 is allowed to participate.
On track we may use certain flags to signal to all drivers. When you are on your sighting laps on track please familiarise yourself with the position of the marshal posts. The following are the types of flags you will see:
Danger ahead, likelihood of an incident or hazard, reduce your
speed by 25% (check mirrors first) and NO OVERTAKING.
An incident has occurred and the session has been stopped.
Please instantly reduce speed by 50% (check mirrors first), pull
over to the right to allow recovery vehicles to pass and return to
the pit lane. NO OVERTAKING
The vehicle behind is trying to overtake – HOLD YOUR LINE
until the overtaking vehicle has safely passed you.
There is a spillage on track or change in the track surface or
condition, i.e. oil, mud, debris, etc. Reduce speed and take
caution until you receive a green flag.
There is a possible problem with your vehicle, i.e. damaged
bodywork, losing fluid, etc. It could also mean that we need to
discuss an aspect of your driving. Please return to the pits
immediately and report to a marshal.
This signifies the end of the session, please reduce your speed
and return to the pits at the end of your lap. No overtaking is
allowed during this lap.
Track Etiquette Notes
- On entering the Circuit please keep to the left hand side and do not move over until the Circuit behind you is clear.
- Use the first few laps to warm up your tyres and familiarise yourself with the location of the marshal posts, etc.
- Consider other drivers - Leave plenty of space when you overtake other cars.
- For Sprint events OVERTAKING is ONLY PERMITTED on the straight sections as detailed in the drivers briefing, on the day.
- Use your mirrors regularly and if you see faster traffic behind you, HOLD YOUR LINE and let the other vehicle(s) pass you. It is good etiquette for the driver being overtaken to 'lift off' (do not brake) to assist the overtaking vehicle.
- TYRE NOISE AND DRIVING STANDARDS. Any driver generating excessive, unnecessary or constant tyre squeal or is deemed to be driving recklessly or in a manner considered by QR to endanger themselves or other track users will be black flagged, removed from the track and given a warning that such driving is inappropriate. Except during sanctioned drifting events, this includes prolonged deliberate oversteer. If the driver continues to give cause for concern a second black flag will be given to once again remove that driver from the circuit and he/she will be denied further access to the track for the rest of the day. Deliberate and excessive power slides will be dealt with in exactly the same way.
- In case of an incident, leave your vehicle and move to a safe position behind the barriers. If you see an incident – do not stop – the circuit staff will deal with it.
- Anyone who ignores red flags or the direction of marshals will be asked to leave the Venue IMMEDIATELY – the marshals are there for YOUR SAFETY.
- The medical car has a paramedic on board and will join the Circuit from the pit lane. Please be aware that the medical car has the right of way on EVERY OCCASION.
Pit Lane Notes
- If you are using a garage, please ensure you adhere to all the terms and conditions displayed on the booking form.
- Please note the pit lane is strictly one way as is the track. All traffic must travel in a clockwise direction. The pit lane speed limit is 40kph max.
- The pit lane must be kept clear between the yellow line in front of the carports and the pit wall to allow emergency vehicle access.
- It is forbidden to sit on the pit wall.
- It is forbidden to re-fuel in the pit lane.
- It is forbidden to store fuel in the garages or in the pit lane.
- It is forbidden to smoke in pit lane or garages.
- Unaccompanied Children under 16 who are not participating are not allowed in the pit lane or the garages
Photography and Production of Coverage
Other than taking still photographs for personal, non-commercial and non-promotional use, no drivers, passengers or their guests are permitted to produce or broadcast any audio, visual (still and/or moving) and/or audio-visual coverage of the venue or any activity at the venue in any media without obtaining QR’s prior written consent.
QR shall be entitled to charge a reasonable fee for the production of such coverage.
Where QR provides its consent to the production of coverage (a) any and all on-board video equipment carried in or on vehicles must be safely and securely installed in accordance with any applicable governing body regulations; and (b) if the person making the request is a journalist, photographer and/or cameraman, such person must complete a media accreditation form supplied by QR, accompanied by a letter or other written communication from the journalist’s, photographer’s or cameraman’s relevant publication or company.
QR’s consent requires that all material will be made available to QR at no cost for use by QR for
Cancellations and Refunds
Cancellation by QR
QR may have to cancel an activity due to events beyond its control, for example adverse weather conditions. This will usually be in the interests of safety. Where an activity is cancelled in its entirety for such reasons, QR will endeavour to notify participants of the cancellation although QR cannot guarantee that participants will be informed of such cancellation before the date of the event. Where a track day is cancelled in its entirety for such reasons, QR will endeavour to offer either (a) a place on an alternative date for the activity (subject to availability) up to the face value of the existing booking or, (b) a full refund.
If QR cancels an activity for reasons other than events beyond its control, a full refund will be offered.
In order to claim any refund, please apply in writing to QR’s address set out below, stating clearly the activity to which the application relates. For accounting purposes any applications for refunds must be received within 28 days from the date of the cancelled track day.
Cancellation by you
If you are unable to attend an activity which you have pre-entered, please call our sales team as soon as possible. In these circumstances, then, provided QR are notified no later than 10 days prior to the activity date, QR will endeavour to reschedule your booking or provide a credit towards a later activity (subject to availability) up to the face value of the existing entry.
It may be possible to reschedule entries or provide a credit at less than 14 days notice but only if we are able to re-sell the original entry to another customer. Other than as set out above, QR are unable to offer credits or refunds for cancellation by customers.
P.O. Box 2392, North Ipswich, Qld 4305